Professor LAW, Nancy W.Y. of the Faculty of Education shares her experience in converting a course designed for blended learning with intensive group work and interactions into a fully online course.
Adapting an intensely interactive design-studio course for fully online implementation:
- Provide clear instructions to students on each element of the course and how each will be implemented.
- Check if students have the appropriate access, technology settings and skills to participate in online activities.
- Prepare students in using zoom. I provided an online learning guide for students soon after class suspension. I converted the first online session into an optional one-hour online tutorial for students to try out the different Zoom functions, such as sharing screen, going into break-out rooms, raising hands
- Hold short full-class sessions, since large zoom classes could be alienating for both students & teachers.
- Schedule small group meetings separately to encourages student interaction.
- Use the polling function in zoom to enhance online engagement and feedback, especially in a large class.